Monday, February 7, 2011

Who?


If this me is not I, then
who am I?
If I am not the one who speaks, then
who does?
If this me is only a robe then
who is
the one I am covering?

- Rumi, translation by Azima Melita Kolin and Maryam Mafi, from Rumi: Whispers of the Beloved, posted to Sunlight


When I first heard the analogy of the body being like clothes, it seemed very strange. I really identified with my body/mind. I believed this was who I was. But when the idea began to penetrate the layers of my mind, I recognized the impermanence of all objects. Though I can't convince anyone with words, I do say that the most important journey to take is the one that leads inward. Each of us will travel to these inner dimensions in order to find the truth of who we are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment