Sunday, September 23, 2012

We Are Nothing, the Light is All

From within or from behind, a light shines through us upon things, 
and makes us aware that we are nothing, but the light is all.
                                                                                               ~Ralph Waldo Emerson


Every wisdom tradition talks about the light and how life comes from it. We are told that we, too, are made of light. In fact, at my recent Yoga immersion weekend, I learned a chant that has become my favorite mantra: I am light, only light, eternal light.

There is something incredibly comforting as these sounds resonate within me. I find myself repeaing them at the most unusual times. While making dinner, I look out the window at the setting sun and softly chant, "I am light, only light, eternal light." Walking through the grocery store, the words ring gently in my ears. Again, driving to an appointment or returning home, I hear this lovely thought. 

This wisdom has woven itself into the fabric of my being. Engaged in conversation, checking email, writing, weeding the garden, walking our dog, watching television, preparing for sleep ~ whatever the activity, this mantra returns reminding me light shines through us all and we are that light.  

No comments:

Post a Comment