Monday, November 22, 2010

When I Am Among the Trees...

There's a Mary Oliver poem that resonates so much, especially during the autumn.  The last stanza is a reminder of why I'm here on this earth. She says like the trees, we are here "to go easy, to be filled with light, and to shine!"  

Last week I found myself driving down a tree-lined street and the maple trees dressed in their vibrant red leaves quite simply took my breath away. I returned with my camera and took a few photos. I stood under them, walked around them, felt their rough bark and smooth leaves, inhaled the earthy fragrance, and wrapped my arms around them. The pure joy of aliveness filled my being...

Of course, there is no way to capture the awe-inspiring beauty of that moment. Nevertheless, here is one image and that poem:



When I Am Among the Trees
When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,
I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."
~ Mary Oliver ~
(Thirst)

No comments:

Post a Comment