Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Here You Are, Alive!

“That’s the big question, the one the world throws at you every morning. ‘Here you are, alive. Would you like to make a comment?’”

–Mary Oliver, from the foreword of her book 
Long Life: Essays and other Writing

My comment to the world is this: I want to pause and feel the space between my thoughts so that compassion, loving kindness, joy and peace can emerge from deep inside. I want to be spacious and open enough to hold the entire world, without judgment, without making assumptions, without fear.

This morning it was 10.5 degrees above zero when I awoke! That's COLD! I rolled my Yoga mat out in front of our gas fireplace with deep appreciation for this warm, cozy house. After my practice and meditation, I thought, "Do I dare take Payton for his walk?" Guilt got the best of me and I piled on layer upon layer, ending with my long down coat (good to 20 below). Finally, we were ready!

As we walked, the frigid air stung my face and it took only a few minutes for my hands to feel the bite of the cold, even through two pairs of gloves.  The sky was a winter blue, crisp, clear and light, too cold to hold any heavy molecules of moisture. Even in this harsh temperature, every cell of my body was dancing with joy. It's great to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment