Sunday, December 5, 2010

Giving Thanks

Thanksgiving is my all time favorite holiday... not for the huge dinner, all of the eating, but for giving and the thanks.  Each year I am amazed by the love that surrounds us and radiates from each of us.  No matter the group, his family, my family, assorted friends or neighbors, always there is the love.  The kind that is full of laughter and acceptance - a sharing of just plain joy and fun!  The work of preparing and cooking the feast doesn't seem like work at all.

Then there's the thanks; I can actually see it! Moving from one heart to another and out into the world is this energy flowing on invisible lines and renewing us with appreciation for each other, ourselves, and life itself.

The exotic recipes and sheer abundance of food are just a ruse, a cover-up for the real things - giving and thanks.                                    

Thanks for the beauty of the world.
Thanks for my life.
Mary Oliver

If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "thank you," that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

If you want to talk about this
come to visit. I live in the house 
near the corner, which I have named
Gratitude.
Mary Oliver


No comments:

Post a Comment