Sunday, March 20, 2011

Join the Community of Spirit


There is a community of the spirit.
Join it, and feel the delight
of walking in the noisy street
and being the noise.
Drink all your passion, 
and be a disgrace.
Close both eyes 
to see with the other eye.

~RUMI ~

From Essential Rumi
by Coleman Barks


I love this image. Most of my life I've been a people-pleaser and the idea of drinking in my passion and being a disgrace is quite simply ~ perfect. The community of spirit nourishes me daily and I feel the delight. It seems my lesson is to live wholeheartedly, with courage and authenticity. I think it means to just be my self; to allow each moment to unfold and know that who I am is more than okay.


I was introduced to Brene Brown through a friend who emailed me a video clip. Here is a woman who has spent 10 years researching shame and guilt. What became clear to her was that being authentic each day will cultivate the courage to be emotionally honest, to set boundaries, to be vulnerable and compassionate with ourselves and others. And out of this will come wholehearted living and loving allowing each of us to be who we are without guilt, shame or fear.

After watching her PBS program last night, I deeply connected with this community of the spirit. What do I see? Grace, joy and gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. Go Brene Brown, awesome woman! And you, too. A wonderful missive! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete