Friday, March 9, 2012

Surrender

One of two things must be done. Either surrender because you admit your inability and also require a High Power to help you; or investigate into the cause of misery, go into the source and merge into the Self. Either way you will be free from misery. God never forsakes one who has surrendered.
                                        ~ Sri Ramana Maharshi (from "Talk 363"; 20th Feb., 1937)

I have wrestled with this concept of "surrender" for most of my life. Perhaps I would be an entirely different person had I surrendered years ago. I grew up a "people pleaser." I always felt I was hiding part of myself in order to be accepted or to keep the peace at home or to achieve whatever perceived goal I had at that moment.

When I began investigating "spiritual" paths, the idea of surrender turned up again and again. Many groups and philosophies that initially held my interest quickly faded when I felt pressure to surrender to someone or something other than myself.

Now my idea of surrender has evolved and I recognize that the only one to surrender to is your inner guru, your own higher self. The ancient wisdom teachings remind me there is an ease of being. This seems natural; it feels "right."


As Ramana so succinctly says, "surrender, and all will be well."

No comments:

Post a Comment